Sunday, October 21, 2012

Peppermint Bark

Only 65 days until December 25th--let the Christmas celebrations begin!

...Too soon?

When I was growing up, every year I would spend the days before Christmas playing with my cousin at my aunt's house. We got to help her get ready for our big Christmas Eve party and that included making caramels. (Post coming later this year...) Last year, I thought I'd branch out a bit in the candy department and experimented with Peppermint Bark. It was a success! (and after going to three stores to find peppermint extract in holiday traffic, I'm going to use it all, dang it!)

The recipe is pretty simple, and the pictures are delectable and fun.


First you smash the candies to oblivion. This part is fun--involve the children if you don't have an problem with them hammering things. (If you don't want your "oblivion" to be messy, make sure to double or triple bag the peppermints.)


Separate the peppermint dust from the chunks by sifting. Save the dust in a bowl for later use.


Chip off chunks of both dark and white chocolate. (Not kid friendly--I had to use a big knife. It's pretty similar to chipping ice chips off except more dense and not as brittle.)



the chocolate will be irresistible.  prepare yourself.



I couldn't tear myself away. 

I used blocks of chocolate from Whole Foods, but any high quality chocolate will do.


Set the dark chocolate and one teaspoon of canola oil over a double boiler. (Double boiler = glass bowl over boiling water. Must be glass)


Melt the chocolate slowly, stirring constantly. (If you've never used a double boiler before, this is me telling you it's not that hard. You can do it!)


On the double boiler, the chocolate melts slowly and evenly. Once it is liquid, mix in 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract. 


Pour the chocolate into a 9x9 pan lined with wax paper. Try to smooth wrinkles out of the wax paper as it will affect the way the chocolate hardens. Sprinkle the top with bits of peppermint. Put in fridge until hardened.


Now onto the white chocolate. Douse the white chocolate with the peppermint dust.


Put over double boiler with 1 tsp canola oil and melt like dark chocolate, stirring constantly.
Add peppermint extract when melted.


Pour over dark chocolate layer. Sprinkle top with remaining peppermint bits.


Harden in the fridge and break into chunks to eat. 

*These pictures were taken last year. I'm not organized enough to make candies this early in the year--it took me ten months to document the process last time.

The recipe calls for 9x9 pan, but I think other shaped pans would also work well. Jelly roll pan, mini-loaf pans, 9x13--I think I will try different shapes this year to vary the thickness of the candy.

All peppermint bark recipes are fairly similar, just depends on what kind of taste you like. I think the chocolate you use matters more than the recipe.

Peppermint Bark

8 ounces dark (or semisweet) chocolate
8 ounces white chocolate
1 bag of peppermint candies, crushed (reserve the dust)
2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, divided

Melt the semisweet chocolate and 1 tsp of canola oil over double boiler (with simmering water).
Stir constantly to avoid burning the chocolate.
Once liquid, stir in 1/4 teaspoon (or less) peppermint extract.
Pour into 9x9 pan, lined with wax paper.
Sprinkle bits of peppermint over the chocolate.
Put pan in fridge to cool.
Melt the white chocolate, 1 tsp of canola oil and peppermint dust over double boiler
Stir constantly to avoid burning.
Once liquid, stir in 1/4 teaspoon (or less) peppermint extract
Pour over the semisweet chocolate layer.
Sprinkle with remaining bits of peppermint.
Put pan in fridge to cool, break into bits to eat! (and give away!)

1 comment:

  1. Lynne, you would never have been born without the difficulties of finding peppermint extract. Your parents started dating because Mom used peppermint flavoring instead of peppermint extract in a recipe for bavarian mints. The result was bavarian mint pudding, which led to ice cream with chop sticks, and the rest is history.

    ReplyDelete